Fire Pre-Inspection Checklist
The following are some of the most common fire code violations found during inspections. Please be sure to walk through your facility and correct any conditions that meet these requirements.
- Combustible material shall not be stored in boiler rooms, mechanical rooms or electrical equipment rooms.
- Combustible materials shall not be stored in exits or exit enclosures.
- Outside dumpster shall be kept at least 5 feet away from combustible walls, windows, doors, overhangs and lid shall be closed.
- Combustible storage shall be at least 2 feet below the ceiling or 18 inches below sprinkler heads.
- Compressed gas containers, cylinders and tanks shall be secured to prevent falling.
- Exit ways and doors shall not be visually or physically obstructed.
- Exit ways and doors shall be unlocked when building is occupied.
- Exit signs shall be illuminated.
- Emergency lighting systems shall be functional.
- Fire assemblies shall not be obstructed or otherwise impaired from their proper operation at any time.
- Main door shall have a sign above door stating “THIS DOOR TO REMAIN UNLOCKED WHEN BUILDING IS OCCUPIED.”
- All fire lanes, hydrants, fire department connections (F.D.C.) or control valves shall be clear and unobstructed.
- Sprinkler or fire alarm systems shall be serviced annually.
- Fire protection systems shall be maintained in an operative condition at all times and repaired where defective.
Commercial Cooking Processes
- A Class K fire extinguisher shall be mounted within 30 feet of commercial food equipment using vegetable or animal oils.
- Commercial cooking systems shall be serviced semi-annually.
- Hoods, grease removal devices, fans, ducts and other appurtenances shall be cleaned to bare metal. Cleaning shall be recorded, and records shall state the extent, time and date of cleaning. Records shall be maintained on premises.
- The building address shall be clearly visible from the street, minimum 4 inches in height with a contrasting background.
- Provide Lock box for alarmed or sprinklered bld.
- Fire-resistance-rated construction shall be maintained.
- Provide legible & permanent sign with occupant load posted in conspicuous location.
- Emergency lighting must be tested every six months and records must be maintained on site.
- A working space of not less than 30 inches wide (or width of equipment), 36 inches deep and 78 inches high shall be provided in front of electrical service equipment. No storage within this designated work space.
- Relocatable power taps shall be polarized or grounded equipped with over-current protection and shall be listed.
- Relocatable power taps shall be directly connected to a permanently installed receptacle.
- Relocatable power tap cords and extension cords shall not extend through walls, ceilings, floors, under doors or floor coverings, or be subject to environmental or physical damage.
- Extension cords and flexible cords shall not be a substitute for permanent wiring.
Portable Fire Extinguishers
- A minimum of one 2A-10:BC portable fire extinguisher shall be provided within 75 feet of travel distance from anywhere in the business on each floor.
- Fire extinguishers shall not be obstructed and shall be in a conspicuous location.
- When visually obstructed, an approved means shall be provided to indicate location.
- Fire extinguisher shall be mounted on wall with hanger.
- All fire extinguishers shall be tagged.