Library Exhibits and Displays Policy
The Gulfport Public Library has limited space available which may be used for temporary displays of art works and other items of interest to the general public. The Library’s exhibit space is open to organizations and individuals engaged in intellectual, educational, or cultural activities. Exhibit space may not be used to promote sales or for any other commercial or fundraising purposes.
The Library endeavors to provide access for all age groups to a variety of viewpoints on a broad spectrum of topics, by means of carefully selected and tastefully presented displays and exhibits, as it does with the books and other materials in its collections. Works dealing with controversial topics are not excluded merely because they are controversial. However, because of the unavoidably visual nature of displays and exhibits, common sense, sensitivity and wise judgment must be exercised in choosing which works will be exhibited at the Library, particularly in light of the fact that Library displays and exhibits are accessible to all persons, from young children to older adults. Materials selected for exhibit, therefore, should be non-stereotyped, non-violent, and appropriate for display to all age groups, including children. Works which might be acceptable to an adult audience at a private gallery or show might not be appropriate for a display or exhibit easily accessible to all age groups at the Library.
All displays and exhibits are subject to evaluation and recommendation by an advisory committee appointed by the Friends of the Library, and to existing laws, ordinances, regulations and policies. The decision by the Library, as an official unit of the City of Gulfport, to accept or reject any or all items for display is final.
Persons wishing to exhibit works in the Library should contact the Library Administrator or designated representative and arrange for a preliminary assessment and evaluation. Once the exhibit has been approved, the exhibitor will complete and sign an Exhibit and Display Waiver, included in this document as Appendix A.
Friends Room Policy – Appendix A
Paper applications are available at the Gulfport Public Library. Call (727) 893-1074 for more information.
Gulfport Public Library
FRIENDS ROOM USE REQUEST / RENTAL AGREEMENT
Date of Request __________________
ACTIVITY DATE(S) ______________________
Please indicate days and hours requested:
MON TUES WED THURS FRI SAT SUN
Please specify the details of your request. Is this a ONE-TIME event? A weekly, bi-weekly, monthly event? Do you wish a certain week of each month (e.g., the third Thursday; the first and last Saturdays)?
Do you wish to serve food/beverages? ________
If yes, describe: ______________________________
Items required (amount): Tables ____ Chairs ____ TV VCR PA system Other___________
Additional information: _________________________________________________________________
FEES: Room rental __________________ for ________hours @ $25.00 per hour.
Sales tax (7%) __________________
TOTAL COST OF RENTAL: __________________ Employee working event _________________
THIS AGREEMENT, entered into between the City of Gulfport, Florida (“City) and the undersigned Lessee (“Lessee), for the use of the Friends Room on the date(s) and time(s) specified, and upon the mutual covenants contained herein, the parties agree to the following:
1. Lessee shall pay City the sum specified, and any additional charges required, for the use of the Friends Room on the date(s) and time(s) specified.
2. Lessee shall comply with all rules, regulations, ordinances, laws or orders of the City, and its authorized representatives, while using the facility.
3. Lessee shall return the facility to the City in a clean and sanitary condition, and Lessee shall remove any equipment brought into the facility.
4. Lessee and Lessee’s heirs, successors and assigns, for themselves and all persons attending the event provided herefor, shall hold the City harmless and indemnify the City against any claim, loss, demand, damages, cause of action or liability, including attorneys fees incurred by City as a result thereof, through all trial and appellate court proceedings, in any way arising out of or related to Lessee’s use of City property as specified herein.
5. No admission fee may be charged by Lessee for any event for which the facility is used unless approved in advance by the City. All equipment and fixtures of the facility shall be operated solely by the City. No City equipment shall be removed from the facility
ENTERED INTO this __________ day of _______________, 20____.
By _________________________________ __________________________________
Library Administrator Lessee (signature)