Public Works Department
Director: Tom Nicholls
Hours: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Phone: (727) 893-1089
For after-hours water or sewer emergency please call: (727) 582-6177
The Public Works Department consists of 37 full-time employees providing essential services to city residents.
Duke Energy is working hard in our community to improve reliability, reduce outages, strengthen the power grid against severe weather and prepare our system to serve our growing area. As part of this commitment, they are conducting major grid improvement projects in the City of Gulfport and surrounding areas. Please visit https://www.duke-energy.com/our-company/future/51st-street-substation for more information on how Duke Energy is upgrading our electric infrastructure.
Lift Station No.2 Installation and Improvements
The City of Gulfport continues to invest in new infrastructure to move wastewater more efficiently through the system, minimize the potential for wet weather overflows and protect the environment. The Lift Station No.2 Force Main Installation and Improvement Project involves designing, permitting and updating the lift station in the Municipal Marina area. It also includes a new underground pipeline to connect both City of Gulfport lift stations to the City of St. Petersburg system for treatment and disposal. Beginning Monday, February 28, 2022, construction will occur at Lift Station No.2 site and along the pipeline route. There will be temporary construction impacts, including:
- Temporary closure at 53rd Street South and 31st Avenue South, extending eastward along 31st Avenue South to Tradewinds Drive, and Del Rio Way, then northward along Tifton Street South to 29th Avenue South.
- Lane closures on 31st Avenue South.
- Impeded driveway access on 31st Avenue South during horizontal directional drill pipe installation (long segments of fused pipe will be strung along the roadway).
- Increased construction traffic near the lift station site and near pipeline construction.
- Construction activity, traffic, noise and minor vibration Monday through Friday; some night or weekend work may be required to reduce impacts to the community.
- Motorists, pedestrians and bicyclists should use caution when traveling near construction and follow all detour and lane closure signs.
For more information, please contact the City of Gulfport Public Works Department at (727) 893-1085.
Responsible for maintaining approximately 68 miles of paved and 32 miles of unpaved streets, and providing regular maintenance of roads, curbs, sidewalks, alleys and signage. We trim trees growing into roads or alleys and trim/remove hazardous trees on city right-of-ways.
Clean, maintain, restore and construct the stormwater drainage system; this includes 120,000 feet of drain lines, 211 stormwater inlets, catch basins, culverts and transmission lines, retention/detention ponds and 7 outfalls.
Maintain and repair sewer lines and maintain and operate the wastewater collection system consisting of 2 lift stations, 714 sewer manholes, 2 miles of force mains, and 105 miles of sewer laterals/mains.
Maintain and repair all city vehicles, including 23 police vehicles, 4 fire trucks, 11 sanitation trucks, 5 tractors, 40 heavy-duty vehicles, and one trolley.
Provide preventative/remedial building maintenance for approx. 94,000 sq feet of city buildings and coordinate activities of trade contractors performing work.